Hareid Church was built in wood in 1877. The church seats 500 persons. Architects were H. E. Schirmer and von Hanno. Master builder was Knut L. Stokkeland from Vestnes.
The altarpiece made by the scot Anders (Andrew) Lawrenceson Smith in1660, is the pearl of art in Hareid Church. It was bought on an action in Stavanger Hospits Church in 1915. 1877 Rasofiel Rise painted the altarpiece in light colours. 1913 Lars Kinsarvik added some darker colours. The church was partly restored in 1952. Due to the 100 anniversary of Hareid church, the altarpiece was restored.